Thursday, November 12, 2009

A few things..

It has been a while since I posted. I just have been in a funky mood but yesterday was an eye opener. I realized what a selfish person I can be. I think of poor me, life isn't like I planned it, work sucks, blah blah blah waa waaa waa.

I was driving home from work when it hit me. IT WAS VETERANS DAY!! What do I really have to cry about?

When I go to work, I drive in a non armored vehicle. There are no road side bombs I have to worry about. I drive in a heated/air conditioned car. I control the temperature. When I get to work, I expose myself to the "elements" for 30 seconds. I sit at a desk in a heated/cooled room. Yes people yell at me but I would rather have them yell at me than shoot me.

When I get home, I can open my fridge and pantry and eta/cook whatever I want. I don't have to choke down a MRE or eat in a tent. If I want to talk to my family, it is a phone call away at ANY TIME. I can drive 5 minutes and visit most of the family. It isn't a five minutes phone call over static lines. I can hold my niece and nephew's little wiggly bodies instead of holding a photo.

It was a humbling experience thinking of how selfish I am. I then started to think about how ABSOLUTELY GRATEFUL I am for the sacrifices for the military and their families have given. I have members in the military but none that are in my immediate family or even close to. Dad was in the Army and stationed in Germany. He monitored the border between East and West. WWII seems so long ago but when you think about it, it really wasn't.

I am so thankful that I live in America. That this land was established to countless men and women who wanted something better and fought for it. I appreciate those who have kept America safe for us to enjoy. Because of them, we are able to have our differences, voice our opinions, disagree/agree, work together.

I get very discouraged when I see the directions politicians have taken this country. We must use the opportunity to stand up for what we believe in and let the politicians (on either side) know how we feel. They are supposed to represent us. They should be voting on what we need/want and NOT what THEY think WE need.

I am discouraged over fellow Americans who are helping to destroy America. By this I mean many things. I mean those who shot 13 people. I speak of those who ignore the laws and aid illegal immigrants (from ANYWHERE) in getting into American. I refer to the politicians who refuse to enforce the laws and deport those who are here illegally (like the Irish in NYC). How much money would we be able to SAVE and put back into the economy if we didn't have to cloth, feed, and provide medical attention for the illegal immigrants in the prison system? JUST IN THE PRISON SYSTEM!! Think of all the money if we could stop the abuse of medicare/medicaid/welfare. No more beer on food stamps.

There is so much that is wrong with this country (relying on the government to take care of use, etc). With said there is so much right. The people. The strength of the people (9/12) and the generosity and compassion and service. These quality seem to be the exception rather than the rule in everyday lives. It is shame that a major event/tragedy is required before people willingly demonstrate general kindness.

I shudder to think of the how the Found Fathers would react if they saw the state of the country now? We aren't a Christian national people say. How far from the truth would that be. They came to this country looking for the ability to worship as they saw fit. They believed in God. (proof in a up coming post).

I am grateful that Heavenly Father has set aside this nation. I appreciate and recognize the blessing our Heavenly Father has given us in living here. I pray that He bless me with the strength and courage to be like our Founding Fathers, and stand up for this nation. I ask that He continually bless the those in the military and their families to bear the separation and unknown with courage, faith, hope, and strength their current position requires.

I am thankfully for those who serve and have made a new resolve to live my life better (more giving, kind, humble) to be worthy of their sacrifice and blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Stirring words, I loved that I can feel your emotion behind them. Loved the reminders in here.

    (And you can get beer?! woohoo! j/k)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails