Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Smart dog!!

TJ has been doing really well with following commands. He has sit down pat. He even is improving on stay and down (from car or couch).


My mom was dogsitting TJ couple of weeks ago while I went to the BSU game with Dad. Mom said TJ escaped through the front door. He starts running around and when he is in the "escape" mood he is hard to catch. Mom decided just to sit on the front porch with treats in hand and wait for TJ to tire. It worked. TJ didn't run in the road or away. He returned.


When I got him from the pound, they told me he ran away from previous owner 3 times. Knowing this always makes me skittish when he escapes. I treat him a million better than his previous owners, but TJ could still be programmed to run.


The other day, TJ and I were in Caitlyn's back yard cleaning up his messes. He snuck through a whole in the fence when my back was turned. I tried to grab his hind legs but he was too quick. He started to run around the neighbors backyard. The neighbor doesnt have any fences so he can run down the black through back yards. I just start calling to him and half way down, he turns around and COMES BACK!! I am still going to patch the hole but I was so happy.


I got to thinking of test TJ out. Seeing if he really is learning. Yesterday I decided I believed TJ would be ok on a trial run. I was headed to the dumpster to take out the garbage. I grabbed a couple of treats in hand. TJ saw this and got all excited. I head outside with garbage in one hand and leash/treats in the others. I step outside and TJ just sits there. I call him to come and HE DOES!! I am way impressed. We make it to the dumpster and back. Later I test him walking to the car (headed to the dog park). He obeys everything pretty well.



When we came back from the dog park, I have him off leash. After I let him out of the car, he just runs up to the front door and waits for me!! I was impressed.



This morning, I took TJ out again without leash. He was stayed close by and knew we were going to the tree. He does his business and follows me back to the front door. I am so impressed and happy!! I think TJ is finally settling down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails