Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baptsim

I love Nie Nie. I think her blog is just an uplifting wonderful thing. It helps me kept perspective. She had a post about her little girl. Her oldest child was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints recently. The daughter received a necklace with the words "Member since 2009" on it. Just reading the post and seeing the necklace got me thinking about by baptism which happened CLEAR back in 1992...17 YEARS AGO!! (Man that makes me feel OLD!!)
My 8th birthday just happened to be on fast Sunday in April so I had to wait til May to get baptized. Baptisms happen on the first Saturday of the month and you are confirmed on the following day.

My father is not a member but my mother is. I was baptized by my Uncle Weston. Uncle Weston was a somber man. He intimated the 8 yr old me with his serious face and full beard and because I knew he was sick. I didn't understand what epilepsy was (which is what he had).
The day was a bright cheery day. I had faced the interview with the Bishop. I can't remember his name but I remember his face. He had a bishop's face meaning you looked at him and new he was a bishop. It was long and narrow with dark hair that was beginning to gray. It was a kind face.Even with the kind face, I was still nervous.

I wore a 101 Dalmatian dress. It was white in the body and had a picture of a couple of pups on the front. The skirt was black with colored polka dots. I even wore black polka dot shoes. My hair was pulled back with a head band.

I changed into the appropriate white jump suit and sat in the front row. I don't remember what we sang or said but remember getting into the water and getting scared. I don't remember why I just remember the feeling. Walking down the stair I met Uncle Weston in the middle of the pool. I grasped his wrist with determination and was not going to let go.

I am immersed in the water. Procedure is if a part of your body comes up out of the water the process will have to begin again. It is important that all flesh is submerged at the same time. Of course it just has to be me that my left foot somehow slips and kicks in front of me. I remember the embarrassment and concern when it happened. I didn't want to have to do it over again.
When Uncle Weston lifted out of the water, we both looked up to the Bishop for an answer to the unspoken question..Do we need to do it again? Thankfully the Bishop smiled and shook his head. It was finished. Out of the water and into the dressing room to change.

The program was finished and closed. I remember shaking a million hands. The rest of my primary class had attended. Our teacher, a kind OLD woman with poofy white hair, was taking us back to her place for Root Beer floats.

I briefly remember the confirmation, which Uncle Weston performed. I remember the anxiety when the priesthood formed the circle. The circle was intimidating.
____________________________________________________________________
It is interesting to think back to that time. My belief in the Church was so sure but I remember having trails even then. I would attend Church Camp with my Baptist friend. We always kept my faith a secret because little girls can be mean. Right after I was baptized a huge challenge presented itself. The group i was assigned ear sitting on my bunk desperately trying to fade into the background. The others campers were 'bashing' Mormons. I had to idea what to say. I remember wanting to say something but also not wanting to draw attention to myself. My friend eventually ran over to the ringer leader of the 'bashers' and whispered in her eye that I was Mormon. I remember her eyes bugging out of her head and the silence in the cabin as she demanded "Megan are you MORMON?" I simply nodded and ran out of the cabin. The rest of the week was ok but the dynamics in the cabin were awkward. I was still involved in activities but I was on the outside.
Another year, I was around 10 yrs old. We were on a hike. Again I didn't tell the cabin I was in this year that I was Mormon. Somehow on the hike, my cabin leader found out. Earlier on the hike, we came across some people bathing nude in the hot springs. Of course hands covered places, but that prompted a discussion of Adam and Eve/birds and bees. Can we say AWKWARD?!?!
Somehow the conversation was turned to the birth of Christ. My leader then pulled me aside and started telling me how the Mormons were wrong and believed that God really came down to Earth and had physical sex with Mary. I can't remember what else was said but I remember running away crying. I looked up to the leader and had no idea what to think. I remember later on in the camp I was 'saved'. I only was 'saved' because I didn't want to be an outsider any more.
My faith has had a rocky start. It has been rocky period but there are some things that I am know sure of.
I know my Heavenly Father loves me. He loves me individually, not like a required love because I am His daughter. But loves me because He KNOWS me as an individual. He knows know faults and strengths, my personality, and loves me in spite of myself. We are all brothers and sisters through Heavenly Father and Christ.
I know Jesus is my Saviour and big brother. He loved me enough to sacrifice himself for me. The sacrifice was to atone for the sins and mistakes I would make. The sacrifice was part of the Plan. The Plan is for us to return to live with HF & JC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails